Gui Zhi is an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) to help with a wide range of health issues. It is commonly used to help reduce pain, reduce inflammation, and improve circulation. It is also used to help relieve symptoms of the common cold, flu, and other upper respiratory infections. In TCM, gui zhi is known for its ability to warm the body and help promote the flow of qi, which is the life energy that flows through the body.
1. Supports Immune System: Gui Zhi is known to help support a strong immune system.
2. Anti-inflammatory Properties: Gui Zhi has anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis, gout, and other inflammatory conditions.
3. Improves Blood Circulation: Gui Zhi is used in traditional Chinese medicine to improve blood circulation. It may help improve cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of heart disease.
4. Anti-allergy Properties: Gui Zhi may help reduce the symptoms of allergies. It is believed to reduce the production of histamines, which are responsible for allergic reactions.
5. Improves Digestion: Gui Zhi is used to treat indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, and other digestive ailments.
6. Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Gui Zhi is known to help reduce stress and anxiety. It is believed to have a calming effect on the body and mind.
- It should be used with caution in pregnant women and people with bleeding disorders.
- Large amounts may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions.
- It may interact with certain medications, including diabetes medications, blood thinners, and drugs metabolized by the liver.
Gui Zhi has a slightly sweet, aromatic and warming taste. It goes well with other herbs such as gan cao, dang gui, and bai zhu, as well as with ginger and brown sugar.
To make a tea, add 1-2 teaspoons of the powder to a cup of hot water and steep for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, dissolve the powder in warm water and drink as a tea. For a stronger infusion, simmer for 15-20 minutes.